eLearning Instructional Designer
Southern Wesleyan University, Central, SC
On Site, Full Time Position
e-Learning Instructional Technologist is the project leader in the development of new course builds in the Canvas LMS and assists in the management of the master course. Supporting faculty in the development of new courses and revision of current courses, this position works collaboratively with subject matter experts (SME), program coordinators, and course developers to meet rigor standards, student-learning outcomes, and student usability standards. Knowledge of best practices in online higher education is essential. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position, reporting directly to the Director of the Center for Teaching Excellence. This is NOT a virtual position.
- Leads in online course development and design in the Center for Teaching Excellence, working alongside faculty.
- Mentors and coaches CTE associates in online development and maintenance of courses.
- Ensures that quality standards are maintained during design, development, and revision of all courses.
- Builds, evaluates, and reviews content for academic rigor and authentic assessment to support online classes.
- Analyzes usability of software and open educational resources and makes recommendations for
- instructional solutions.
- Provides support for the creation of web-based and multimedia instructional materials used for teaching and learning.
- Designs, develops, and delivers professional and technical training for faculty through instructor-led, hands-on workshops, remote web-conference sessions, video conferencing, and online self-paced training programs.
- Creates and publishes user documentation, including web resources and user manuals for supported instructional technology tools and software.
- Stays informed about the current state of and future advances in instructional and multimedia technology, e-learning applications, and digital media creation/delivery.
- Provides individual consulting and group training on pedagogical approaches and emerging methods, including but not limited to, authentic assessment, experiential learning, learner-centered teaching, and backwards design.
- Provides support and guidance to faculty in areas of curriculum and assessment, including outcomes alignment, course structure, and accessibility.
- Researches and evaluates emerging instructional and web technologies, tools, lecture capture, and delivery options based on analysis of user needs.
- Performs others duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in instructional technology, education technology, course and curriculum design, information sciences, digital media design, or related field is required; a master’s degree is preferred. At least two years of experience in online education is preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development, student success, and online education culture and values.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time and resources.
- Record of significant experience in course or curriculum design, e-learning and digital media creation/delivery required.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of LMS (preferably Canvas), graphic and multimedia authoring software, website design, and online course development.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and effectively communicate with diverse constituencies.
- Must be effective at problem solving and working on multiple assignments.
- Must be able to interpret and adhere to institutional policies, plans, outcomes, and regulations.
- Must be available to work a non-standard schedule in order to fulfill assigned duties and responsibilities.
SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals. The ideal candidate will be familiar with integrated database management systems and sequel tables; computers and peripheral devices; Mac, Win and Mobile OS; MS Office; Exchange; Canvas or other LMS; video and web conferencing; multimedia, learning management and lecture capture systems; courseware development in HTML; Flash; web authoring; desktop publishing and other applications, such as Adobe PS, Captivate, and Articulate.
For more information and to apply go to: https://my.swu.edu/ICS/Employment/